Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Sabbath - Fail

If you remember last week, I posted a rambling entry about natural rhythms and my plan for Sabbath.  If you didn't catch it, let me remind you of what I committed to in regards to Sabbath practice. I wrote:

"Here is my Sabbath commitment. I commit to keep Sabbath and remain present with my family and my faith for 2-4 hours each Sunday. I will do my best to keep this Sabbath time and share you how I succeed and fail in my journey." You can read the entire post here if you want.


Well, here is my update. I failed miserably to keep Sabbath. The worst part about it for me is that I didn't even give myself a chance to succeed. I slept in, until I had to get up to go work a softball game for 3 hours. Then headed straight from the softball game to the house we just sold to pack boxes and move things into storage. Finally, I thought about my failed Sabbath as I headed to an 11pm meeting at work. Needless to say at that point there weren't even 2 hours remaining in the day and I knew that I had failed.
That feeling as I drove down an empty highway in Oklahoma, was very defeating. However, I knew that: 


"...neither death nor life, neither angels or demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord." (Romans 8:38-39) 


You know what that means? Not even my forgetting to "Remember the Sabbath" can keep me from the love of God. Even though I failed miserably, God's love is never failing. I can still find rest in his love, and hopefully do better next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment