Friday, August 5, 2011

Surgery and Sabbath

Recently, my wife needed to have surgery. It was not a very invasive procedure. It was an outpatient ordeal. The surgery went fantastic. I was very thankful to hear. Upon release my wife received instructions about caring for herself while she recovered. The main requirement was rest and not to over-exert herself. Rest does not come naturally to my wife. Sitting around, for her, makes her thinks she is being lazy. Her natural inclination is to make herself busy with things to do and accomplish. But, if she really would like to recover quickly and totally she had to rest and allow the body to restore itself in time.

Sabbath, I am learning, is more than just resting. It's healing. Rest is an important factor because of what it leads to: wholeness. Perhaps continuing to push ourselves without allowing proper rest and healing is akin to straining the body too much after a surgery. It can only lead to more complications, weariness, and pain. Healing cannot happen without rest. I am reminded of Jesus' words, "Come to me all you who are heavy laden and I will give you rest." Jesus came to heal and make whole. We are restored to new life as Sabbath becomes an entering into the wonderful rest of a Savior that brings healing to our hurts.

No comments:

Post a Comment